Write about Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis here.
• Aspergillus fumigatus is a ubiquitous fungus which may colonise the respiratory tract as an incidental finding without giving rise to symptoms
• Can cause an aspergilloma
• Patients with Asthma may develop an allergic reaction (Type I and III hypersensitivity) to the fungus and demonstrate precipitating Ab, in serum and +ve skin prick tests
• Some develop ABPA:
• Initially bronchoconstriction, but as inflammation persists, permanent damage occurs, causing bronchiectasis (due to thick mucus plugs causing obstruction of small bronchi)
• RX = suppression of immune system by oral prednisolone and high-dose inhaled steroids